Turkish Draughts, is mainly in Middle East countries, where it is called Türk damasi and Dama oyunu.
Board and pieces
- It is played on a 8x8 checkerboard.
- Both sides have 16 men (white and black), initially placed on all the squares of the second and third ranks of the board.
- The player with white pieces starts the game.
Moves and captures
- Unlike most draughts games, pieces do not move diagonally. They move along the ranks and files of the board.
- Men move usually one cell forward or sideward. They can never move backward.
- Men capture by jumping over the opponent piece and landing on the next square behind, that must be empty. The opponent piece is removed from the board.
- Several captures can be made in the same move, provided that the same piece may continue jumping over opponent pieces from the destination square.
- During the jumping sequence, captured pieces are removed immediately from the board as are being captured, making therefore possible to jump again over the same square during the sequence.
Promotion and kings
Men promote, becoming kings, when they reach the last rank.
Kings may move in a different way:
- They can move also backward.
- They are flying: the can move jumping over several empty squares along the ranks and files.
- They may capture an opponent piece by jumping over one or several squares, as long as there is only one opponent piece in the route and the other squares are empty.
Whenever is possible, it is compulsory to play a capturing move.
Should have several capture options, the Quantity Rule is applied: as much pieces as possible must be captured.
End of the game
The winner is the player who captures all the pieces of the opponent.
The player who blocks the remaining pieces of the opponent also wins the game.
The game ends in a draw in these cases:
- By agreement between both players.
- The same position occurs for the third time, with the same player having to move.
- 32 (16 each side) successive king moves are played without any capture.
- Both players have only one piece.
Turkish Draughts in Ludoteka
You can play Turkish draughts in Ludoteka to one game. The color of the pieces is decided randomly.
that is being played now